Sunday, June 26, 2011

Oh well

I didn't get the job. But it did go to a woman, and she is definitely the best qualified for the position. People have been talking about this position as "B—'s job" ever since it was first advertised. And the short-term one has been offered to another woman, who is also a good fit.

The only thing that I'm upset about is that it became clearer and clearer through the selection process that the head of the selection panel, who is also my immediate superior and head of our department, has no respect at all for my research and doesn't really think I'm a "real linguist". I have to keep working for/with this guy for the next three years, and I really respect him, so it's quite upsetting that the feelings aren't reciprocated. I don't know what to do about that.

I guess I have to stop hoping for his support and just get on and do things on my own. As I have been. But it's exhausting.

3 Comments:

Bardiac said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but glad it went to someone well-qualified.

I'm also sorry to hear about your supervisor's opinion. I hope it changes.

Arbitrista said...

Disappointing.

Seeking Solace said...

Bummer. But, I am glad too that it went to someone qualified.

But, still....