Tuesday, June 06, 2006

StyleyGeek gets a comments policy

I think it's about time I had a comments policy, or at least a more explicit one. So here goes:

  1. Hi! I like you already. After all, you came this far. So don't take any of the rest of this personally.

  2. I don't mind if you've worked out where I live or who I am. But I do mind if Google works it out. One thing I am trying to avoid is having people type my city name + "linguistics" into Google and getting this blog as a hit. In that situation, I think my university would be justified in being pissed off if I wrote things that gave it a bad name. So please avoid using the name of this city or the name of my university in your comments.

  3. The other thing I am trying to avoid is future employers googling my name and coming up with this blog. I prefer them to come to the conclusion that hiring me was a mistake later rather than sooner (like, after they have actually hired me). So please also refrain from using my real name in your comments, assuming you know what it is.

  4. Otherwise, almost anything goes. Say what you like to me. I have so little experience with being flamed that I still think it sounds like fun. Be nice to my other commentators, though, please. I kind of like having them around.

11 Comments:

StyleyGeek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

uh oh, did I do ot? I totally get anxious all the time I will blurt something on a blog I ought now.

StyleyGeek said...

No, not you. It was just that two people recently have referred to my city by name. And there was really no reason for them to know that they shouldn't.

I also get anxious that I'm going to accidently use someone's real name rather than their pseudonym. For some people (like Pig-Puppet girl), I sometimes get confused about which is her real name and which is the pseudonym.

StyleyGeek said...

Yep, loving it up here in Uzbekistan. Nothing like a good... yak? What do they have in Uzbekistan? Linguist ticks, yes, that's what!

Badaunt said...

I've had the same problem, with people using my NAME. Only my first name, but still. I'm not worried so much about the employment I could get in the future as about the employment I have now. Some of what I write could get me fired, if someone was looking for an excuse. (And you don't need much excuse to fire a part-timer in this country.)

So don't worry. I won't tell anybody ANYTHING.

(And that's not just because I don't know anything anyway.)

Anonymous said...

ROFL....that really was funny...i was bored, and therefore randomly looking at blogs, i came across yours, and I love your blog... your sense of humor, and your intelligence, are awesome... hit me up sometime...

Anonymous said...

I've done that.... you should try preheating the oven to 400 before you remember your little sister hid the dishes in there...

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Being a bit naive.. I never thought about that when I started blogging - I know some of the teachers at school read my blog, so sadly I can say very little about school. There are some things I would love to say, but generally have to stay happy happy joy joy about all the school stuff.

Rebecca Moore Howard said...

My sincere condolences, Styley.

Anonymous said...

I met a doctor who was named Rodrick Love. His nickname was Rod.

Liz Miller said...

I love your comments policy. And I love that you are back. YAY!!!