Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Flex, grunt, simper

I just ran into one of my students at the gym. To be honest, it's surprising this doesn't happen more often, but I think that's probably because I teach an area that has a 10:1 female:male ratio and at the gym I hang out in the almost woman-free zone that is the heavy weights room.

So anyway, today for the first time I saw one of my students in the weights room. Or to be more precise, he saw me. While I was flexing at myself in the mirror, wearing skimpy gym gear and with my hair in pigtails.* None of which reflects much of the professional image I have tried to cultivate in class.

The look on his face was priceless.

__________

* I make an effort to dress a bit girly for the gym, although this is a look I tend to avoid in the other spheres of my life. It makes me feel all warm and ironic to do the pink and pigtails thing while grunting and lifting more weight than many guys.