Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Since everyone is doing it...

This Is My Life, Rated
Life:
8.6
Mind:
8.1
Body:
8.9
Spirit:
8.1
Friends/Family:
7.1
Love:
10
Finance:
8.1
Take the Rate My Life Quiz


No wonder I'm always irritatingly cheerful.

I think the friends/family result is a little unfair, though. Sure, I only have a handful of friends and I have a distant relationship with my family, but that's the way I like it.

Also, I filled this out a few days ago when I first saw it at Lucy's, and I'm sure my result then was lower in most categories. The only things I think I answered differently this time around are the questions at the start about the number of grandparents still alive, and number of siblings. Last time I put down two grandparents, and this time I put three.* And last time under siblings I only counted the brother I grew up with, assuming it was childhood experiences that they cared about, but this time I included the half-siblings as well, since they make me happy too.

Updated to add: And I just redid the test and changed "Atheism" to "Christianity" for the religion question. Turns out you lose 0.3 points in the spirit category for being an atheist. Admittedly I ticked the "unconflicted about my faith" answer when I was testing the Christianity option, so maybe a conflicted Christian gets fewer points than an atheist. But all the same I think it's rude. If you don't think it is possible to be a happy, unconflicted, highly spiritual atheist, then you haven't seen Geekman talking about physics.

_________

* I have six grandparents, and I didn't know if I should count from the top down, taking one off the maximum for each of the two that have died, or from the bottom up. It depends on whether they are assuming that dead grandparents make you unhappy or that living ones improve your life.

8 Comments:

Lucy said...

How did you get a 10 for love? I don't think I managed that that when I was trying to game the test.
It is possible to get a spirit 10 as an atheist.
I think counting grandparents who are living to contribute to your happiness is the way to go. I couldn't figure out how to get a 10 for family without making up kids and extra grandparents and siblings, so don't feel bad.
Maybe I could cheat and count my four step-siblings (3 of whom I've never met).

Clearly you're not allowed to complain ever again, you have such a good life :) I'm glad you're doing so well. You rock!

StyleyGeek said...

I got a 10 for love because Geekman is awesome :)

It is possible to get a spirit 10 as an atheist.

In that case, how come the spirit score went up by 0.3 when the only thing I changed was atheist to Christian? Unless, of course, you don't have to get a perfect score to get 10. Maybe anything over a certain threshold is a 10 and you can achieve that as an atheist too.

StyleyGeek said...

I just went through and tried to get perfect scores in every category, but the best I could get in mind was 9.8, friends and family 9.4 and finances 9.7. I'm pretty sure I'm answering everything "right" though, so I can't work out what the problem is.

Lucy said...

If you strongly agree that there is more good than bad in the world and that you follow a strong moral code and can cope well with a crisis, commune with nature, give to charity, take time to unclutter your mind and believe that everything happens for a reason you get a 10, even as an atheist.
If you do all those things, but are even slightly conflicted in your faith as a christian, you only get 9.6, but if your lack of religion just slightly bothers you as an agnostic, you can still get a 10, so maybe it's slightly easier as a non-believer :)
Maybe if you're missing one of those things having some faith can make up for it, though.
(Yes, I spent way too much time analysing this test yesterday)

Lucy said...

I couldn't get 10s in some of them either. And I couldn't see a category that was affected by some of the questions. I got sick of reentering the whole second page after a while and gave up.

StyleyGeek said...

I don't think that believing things happen for a reason should count as a factor that makes you happier. I mean, say your life sucks, but you believe everything happens for a reason. Then you'd have to conclude that the reason is that God (or the universe) hates you. And that wouldn't make me happy.

Lucy said...

I know! I also think it's incompatible with being an atheist and is therefore unfair, but this is all part of my Plan post that I'm still working on :)

Quiche said...

I am with you both on this one! I think that thinking things happen for a reason can make you very unhappy. Especially if your mind is prone to trying to figure out what reason that might be.