Thursday, March 01, 2007

More storm: now with extra supercell

The local newspaper's story on the storm is here. The photo they printed (and that I then blithely stole to repost here) was from just after the storm, unlike my photos yesterday which had been taken 12 hours later.


I just can't believe that this could happen in the middle of summer.

In other news, we were woken this morning by an unscheduled visit from Tony the Renaissance Man, who is pioneering mind-reading as a tool for identifying the location of roof leaks. The last three times he has been around to "repair" our roof (and I use that word with intentional irony), the conversation we have had with him has gone something like this:

Tony: "So yous had a bit of a problem in the rain the other night?" (Like that's new and unexpected).

Geekman: "Yes, and I went up into the crawlspace under the roof while it was raining, so if you come up there with me now, I can show you exactly where the water was coming in."

Tony: "Na, 's all right. I'll jis' go up on the roof an' take a look."

[clamber clamber]

Tony, yelling from up on the roof: "Oh yeah, s'bloody obvious, mate! Yous've got some big holes up here. I'll just plug them up."

Geekman to me: "So if it's so bloody obvious (mate), why didn't he spot them when he was here THREE DAYS AGO?"

Tony, coming down: "Yeah, she's right now, mate. All fixed."

Geekman: "Are you sure? Because the place the water was coming in from was actually more over the other side. Just come up to the crawlspace and let me point it out."

Tony: "Nah, it'll be fine. Yous won't have any more problems now."


And we don't. Until, you know, the next time it rains. At which point you'd think he might actually let Geekman show him where the problem is. But I think we got away pretty lightly this time, considering people without our ongoing roof leak problems also had flooding and damage. And our good, kind, assertive (and Geekman says to add here 'and really hot') landlady is coming by in the weekend to discuss battle strategies, which will hopefully involve disposing of Tony the Renaissance Man altogether.

3 Comments:

Ianqui said...

I actually saw a news report about the storm in your city on the Today show (the most popular morning news show in the US).

Anonymous said...

gaahhhhh. this roof this is driving me freaking crazy! what has everybody got against checking the crawlspace!

ok, i'm better now. :)

StyleyGeek said...

Ianqui, that's pretty cool. We're famous!

Anastasia, you're so sweet to have a breakdown on my behalf :)