Sunday, June 22, 2008

When did this happen and why did no one tell me?

I just ordered something from the USA, checked my credit card, and the amount charged (in Australian dollars) was pretty much the same amount that the website had quoted (in US dollars). I figured my credit card had screwed something up, so checked the exchange rate and OH MY GOD.

MUST BUY EVERYTHING IN THE USA! NOW!

I have this weird hangover from my early days of experience with American currency back in the early 90s, that I think of US $1 as being equivalent to NZ $2. And I think of the Australian and NZ dollar as almost the same. So even though I know things have changed, when I buy something online from the USA, I first double the price, and if that doesn't sound too insane, I consider it properly. But by "properly", I mean I was still stuck in last year's exchange rate of adding on about a third of the price again.

But this 1-1 exchange rate? It sets my heart a-fluttering.

Amazon.com, here I come!

9 Comments:

EthidiumBromide said...

Ugh. Don't remind me about how much it freaking sucks from this end.
The whole time I was in Greece my husband kept going on and on about how expensive everything was, and I kept having to remind him that it is not Greece that is expensive, but our dollar that is utter shit.

Liz Miller said...

I'm not traveling, but this l'il ol' Amurrican gal is completely unable to buy the books I'm drooling over at Amazon.co.uk. Sigh.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Oh, but it sucks going the other way!

Seeking Solace said...

Yeah, it seems to be a great deal for everyone except those of us in the US!

Enjoy your shopping :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's helping people out in other parts of the world. Though it's not the Great Depression of my parents time,it's getting tough over here: the "weakening" of the dollar and our HUGE national indebtedness, energy costs, and food prices are up about 25% so far this year. Very scary times!

Anonymous said...

whoops- sorry, that was me- Dorie.

StyleyGeek said...

I'm sorry it's hard for people over there, Dorie. Your prices for most things still seem to be lower than ours, though (as a proportion of what people earn). Admittedly I haven't looked across a wide spectrum of goods, but the big costs like rent/mortgages, gas, heating, and then consumer goods like electronics and books still seem to me to be much cheaper than here.

Anonymous said...

I went to New Zealand 3 times and Australia twice while the exchange rates were still in the USA's favor. In most things, I realized I was paying roughly half what they were worth, so that if our dollars were of equal value, I'd be paying normal price.

So I guess this doesn't necessarily strike me as bad, just a removal of a bonus that was pleasant to have. But then, I haven't tried to travel out of the USA lately either.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

It's funny that you hadn't realised, because there was a period of several months last year where the exchange rate was one of the lead items on the local (Canadian) news each day.

There were about 3 weeks of "we're almost at par!", a week of "we're at par!", and then a few more weeks of "we're above par OMG!!!! BUY BUY BUY!!!!"

My American relatives came to visit during this period, and they hadn't heard anything about the exchange rate on the news. It was a bit embarrassing actually.

Now it's all about petrol prices. Still a great deal compared to Europe, guys. Simmer down.