Thursday, June 26, 2008

You may remember me from other films, including "Falling asleep in class" and "Being a total dickhead".

Not the smartest way to start a phone call to your former lecturer:
"Hi, I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'm Joe Bloggs? I took your class last year? I'm the one who plagiarised the essay?"

Not the smartest request to make of her:
"So, I was wanting to appeal against that, but I'm not sure if there's some sort of statute of limitations. Could you find out for me, please? And can you find out what the process of appeal would involve and who I need to contact and when? It's really urgent, so please get back to me by the end of today."

And it's not the smartest time to do it, when she's right in the middle of marking 130 final exams and about to leave for a two week conference.

How can it possibly be urgent when you've waited 10 months before even asking about an appeal? Good thing we DO have a deadline for appeals, and, guess what? It's 30 days after they get their result. (Hah.)

(PS: I am planning to write a post about why I said that people in Tonga are strange, but I just haven't got to it yet.)

6 Comments:

Seeking Solace said...

I had a student who failed my class during the fall term and then asked me at midterm during the spring term if there was any extra credit she could do to change her grade from the fall. She was trying to transfer to another college and didn't want a failing grade on her record!

Sometimes Students are just not that bright

The History Enthusiast said...

Wow. He has some serious cahones to think that he can pull that off!

Anonymous said...

"a two week conference"

Two weeks? That's practically a life sentence. Isn't two or three days more usual?

What sort of conference is it?

StyleyGeek said...

Tom, it's this insane collection of conferences. Linguists in Aus like to do this every two years - put every conf they usually hold during the year on in the same location over a two week period. Most of them overlap quite a bit, so most people go to two or three. Technically I have one this Saturday-Sunday, then one from Tuesday to Friday, then one Monday to Friday the following week. Since they are all in the same location, I'm just going to go for the whole time.

Liz Miller said...

Sounds like the guy called because his parents made him.

Courtney said...

What liz said, with a dash of what seeking solace said.

"My actions have consequences? I didn't know."