Monday, June 28, 2010

The longer version

So um, yeah. How about that? It turns out that the Real World was not all it was cut out to be. Also, Facebook turned out not to be the Real World. And when it came to the REAL Real World, I turned out not to be very good at it, or at least not as good at it as I am at blogging.

Most of the issues surrounding why I stopped blogging still stand, of course. I've decided to try to avoid posting anything here that might offend reasonable colleagues, family members, etc.* I'm sure I can still come up with amusing inoffensive things to say, and save the best of my obnoxiousness for anecdotes about random strangers. (Note to self: disguise all stories about family and colleagues so that everyone thinks they are referring to "random strangers").

I have also decided to no longer check the blog's stats, or at least not the IP addresses of people reading. Or at the very least, not to memorise the IP addresses of computers inside my department. Hmm... maybe I'm not as committed to this as I had thought I was.

And finally, it turns out that the whole not-enjoying-blogging-anymore thing was related to a general not-enjoying-anything-anymore thing, which was alleviated quite nicely through a well-calibrated prescription of happy pills. Better living through adjustment of brain chemistry FTW!

And now I will happily burrow my way back into my soft warm blog and reacquaint myself with you all in the comments. Hurrah!


________________

* Unreasonable colleagues and family members, on the other hand, can just suck it.

12 Comments:

Rebecca said...

Well, whatever the reasons, we're thrilled you're back. I'm glad you're feeling better, but very sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well before. Hopefully it was just a temporary imbalance that will eventually work itself out with the help of your happy pills.

In any case, happy or cranky, we are more than happy to be hearing from you. So, either way, let'er rip!

As to your dilemma concerning readers, that seems to be more and more common these days. It seems like so many people have taken their blogs private lately, though some are now starting to bring them back public. Some people even keep two blogs, which I find a bit mind boggling. It's so hard to know, sometimes, the best way to go.

Still, happy you're giving it another shot, and I hope it works out in a way that allows you to hang around for a nice long while.

Grace Dalley said...

Styley! How wonderful to have you back! So sorry to hear you've been not-enjoying-stuff, that sucks. Yay for happy pills! Yay for happy Styley! :-)

post-doc said...

This is why I leave people in my Google Reader! So, so happy you're writing again and long live the happy pills.

Arbitrista said...

Yay!

Terminal Degree said...

Welcome back!

Maude said...

woo-hoo! welcome back!!

StyleyGeek said...

Thanks, everyone!

Seeking Solace said...

I am so glad you are back!!! When I saw your blog pop up on my Google Reader, I was like "Woohoo"!!!! That is just want I needed to bring my blog out of the shadows of privacy.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Welcome back!

Bardiac said...

Welcome back :)

Addy N. said...

I was so excited to see you in my Reader feed (which I rarely check these days!) Welcome back- maybe you'll inspire me to stop neglecting my own blog?

Leslie M-B said...

Yay! Glad to have you back!