Thursday, July 17, 2008

The only thing missing from this silly outfit is a sword


Between the start of my PhD and graduation:

We moved from Denmark to Australia
Then moved three more times
We bought our first car
My parents split up twice, then divorced
My closest relative apart from my parents had her husband threaten her with a gun
She moved into a women's shelter
He killed himself
My father tried to kill himself
My grandmother died
My mother got cancer
My father got remarried (like, four days ago) and I gained two teenage step-sisters.
I decided to donate eggs to an infertile friend (yes, I've said yes!)

I read the Iliad in the original Greek
I took up bell ringing
and rock climbing
My bench press decreased by 5 kg
My mad programming skillz increased 10-fold
and people started paying me money to do computer stuff.

I visited the USA for the first time,
presented at an international conference for the first time
and at too many local conferences to count
I tutored for the first time
I taught and convened my own course for the first time
and then again
with 140 students
In total, I taught around 350 students
three of whom also graduated today
(one, despite my best efforts)
I submitted a major grant proposal (which I haven't heard back about yet)
I was offered (and declined) an academic job

and, y'know, apparently I wrote a dissertation.

Yay me!

39 Comments:

Weekend_Viking said...

:-)

Welcome to the ranks of the EnDoctornated.

Nicola said...

CONGRATULATIONS, StyleyGeek!

Excuse me. Dr. Styleygeek.

Julep said...

Yay you, indeed. Congrats Dr. StyleyGeek!

JaneB said...

Definitely Yay you - Dr Styleygeek at last!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dr. StyleyGeek! And I think your outfit is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

yay, you! you look awesome. Seriously, I covet your hat. and your cape thing looks all swishy.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Congratulations!!

post-doc said...

I think it's rather fetching. Not unlike a super-hero! :)

And, of course, congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
You look great!

Bardiac said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Nice outfit, too :) Good colors.

But in your list, you didn't mention all your parrot assistants... maybe some revision is in order? :)

Seeking Solace said...

Cheers to you!!!!

Juggling Frogs said...

Mazal tov, Styley Geek!

Flavia said...

My, you've done/gone through a lot to earn this outfit. Congratulations!

K said...

Congratulations!! You do look like a super hero, and with all you've been through, clearly you are one.

The History Enthusiast said...

Doctor Styleygeek, congratulations a thousand times over!

Anonymous said...

Look at you!! way to go, Dr. Styleygeek!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Now play me a tune, minstrel!

BrightStar (B*) said...

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting! And I want your hat. It will keep off the rain!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Yay you! I love the outfit: it's far more Society For Creative Anachronism than mine will be.

USJogger said...

Yea, Dr. Styley!

Earnest English said...

Congratulations, Doctor. Hey -- I think this should be a meme -- of us recounting what we've done from entering to graduations. Let's get Maudie to do it!

Terminal Degree said...

Congratulations, Dr. StyleGeek!!! (Your regalia is fabulous, too.)

A.C. said...

Damn...you've been busy!

Laurie K said...

yay! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

congratulations!

Grace Dalley said...

Styley, you look BEAUTIFUL in the outfit!! And wow, well done, you sure earned some laurels!!

crip said...

congradulations

Weekend_Viking said...

And yes, your regalia is much nicer than the Canterbury regalia - I hateses the silly bonnet, much prefer flatcap bonnets. So, want to make a set of tudor clothes to go under the fossilised tudor gown and flatcap that is the usual phd regalia?

Kelly said...

You are bloody awesome. Congratulations yet again!

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing amount of stuff to get through. Congratulations!

RageyOne said...

you accomplished a lot.

you look FABULOUS!

congrats!

Megalophone said...

Congratulations, felicitations, and lots of other "-tions" (I'm certain you know more than I). I only wish that the graduation outfits at my university were so interesting.

Liz Miller said...

Mazel tov, Dr. Styleygeek!!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

go dr. styleygeek, you look awesome!

EcoGeoFemme said...

congrats!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Yay you indeed! Congrats!

ScienceGirl said...

Congrats! And a magic wand would go too :)