Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Why I sit quietly and wait for my turn, apparently

Waiting at the Motor Registry to get new license plates, I overheard the woman next to me explaining good behaviour to her toddler.

"You have to sit on your bottom, not climb all over the seats."

"No. Sit on your bottom. Otherwise you'll have to have a time out."

"Sit. On. Your. Bottom. You see that man over there behind the counter? He'll come over and tell you off and put you in time out."

"See the lady sitting there?" (Points at me.) "SHE is sitting on HER bottom. She's afraid of the man behind the counter and doesn't want him to be angry at her and put her in time out."

6 Comments:

L said...

That is the reason I'm glad I speak a language to my child that not many people can understand. If they could, they'd be many blog posts about what people have overheard me telling him :)

Anonymous said...

um. wow.

Ianqui said...

Well, did it work? Are you a good enough role model? :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, did you get put in time out?

Also, you've possibly seen this dozens of times already, but in case you haven't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k&eurl=http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/19/amy-walkers-21-accen.html
Amy Walker does 25 accents in under 3 minutes.

StyleyGeek said...

No I'd never seen that, Hypatia. It's incredible! The NZ and first Aussie one are spot on!

Anonymous said...

Always good when you become a fine upstanding memeber of the community and held up as a shinning example to toddlers :-)