Saturday, February 14, 2009

So, wow, yeah, a job

I got a job.

I.

got.

a.

job.

I didn't think things like that happened to people like me. Woo HOO!

Admittedly I think I'm still a bit over-qualified for it. It's quite a long way down the academic pecking order. But it also has the potential to be what I make of it. There's some administrative work and some data entry, but also some actual linguistic analysis, the opportunity to sit in on research meetings and have my say, lots of fun digging around in libraries, and I'll get to help write papers and co-present at conferences.

It's 80% of full time, which should leave enough hours in the week for me to continue my own research as well.

Initially it's for a year, then they have to advertise, but if I've been a good girl they'll advertise internally only and write the job description to fit me.

And it's a real. live. salary. More than I've ever earned before.

The process of getting this job has been a bit of a roller coaster, so in between the waves of elation I just feel kind of exhausted. The story went like this:

Two weeks ago: a friend who currently does this job comes to see me with the exciting news that she got an ongoing lectureship at another university and will be leaving. Together we lay plans to scheme me in as her replacement.

Twelve days ago: Friend's current boss comes to see me. Friend is leaving! He will need to replace her! Am I available? Yes? Fantastic! They will be so happy to have me! They don't have anyone else in mind for the position! But maybe they will have to advertise it. (Maybe I'd prefer them to advertise it?) They will find out and get back to me.

Ten days ago: friend says she doesn't think they have to advertise. From what she hears, they are planning to appoint me.

One week ago: Out of the blue, I hear they have offered the job to someone else.

I sulk.

Five days ago: I write an email to the other people involved in the project, who I have not had a chance to talk to about this position. I explain why I would be awesome for the job. I say I know they offered the job to someone else, but that if he doesn't accept it, please to still consider me.

Four days ago: I get a reply to say they did NOT offer the job to the other guy. Well, you know, they kind of did. But conditionally. They are still trying to find out how close he is to finishing his PhD and if he won't be finished in time, maybe they don't want him. They aren't sure. They'll get back to me.

Two days ago: They email both of us, asking us to apply in writing with CVs and letters addressing five selection criteria. 'It doesn't need to be polished' and—oh yeah— they'd like the applications within 24 hours please.

Yesterday: I finish my application and get feedback from everyone I can think of. Rewrite it. Submit it. Five minutes later I hear that the other guy changed his mind and doesn't want the job after all. I am back to being the only candidate. I have the job offer in writing.*

I start on the second of March.

__________

* This is important because this is the same project that offered me a postdoc last year (verbally only) and then when we got to the point where contracts were about to be drawn up, they turned around and advertised the job instead, with a selection criteria that excluded me from even applying. Of course, this now means I will be working with the guy who ended up getting "my" postdoc and is doing funner work and earning twice as much as I will be. But I think I'll be okay with that, even though (yeah, I know) I sound a little bitter about it here.

28 Comments:

The History Enthusiast said...

Yay, YAY! I am so happy for you!

ScienceGirl said...

YES! Congrats! I am sure you will develop this opportunity to its full potential!

Terminal Degree said...

Woohoo! Congratulations!

peterxyz said...

congrats!!!!

sounds to me like maybe "(Maybe I'd prefer them to advertise it?)" is a really a "are you on crack?" test.

from your post, I'm assuming that its at your current location?

Have you guys been much affected by the fires?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!

It looks like you've got a whole bunch of good stuff to make up for that little sticky part at the end. And it's a such great step forward.
I'm thrilled for you.

StyleyGeek said...

Yes, it's at my current location. I haven't even been looking at jobs elsewhere since I refuse to do the long-distance marriage thing.

And no, we've been lucky enough to be well away from the fires (Victoria is around 700 km from here (450 miles). I know people whose families are there, though, and my brother is in Melbourne (though the city itself hasn't been affected) so it's in my thoughts a lot. It's such a horrible situation and I really feel for everyone affected.

michiexile said...

This is awesome! I'm so happy for you!

And once you've been here for a year, you'll see that you'll kick ass once they're forced to advertise it.

Nicola said...

Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you.

saxifraga said...

Yay, great news. Congratulations.

Ursula said...

WOOOOOOO!!!! Congratulations!!!

Bardiac said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Yay YOU!

(I'm glad to hear the fires aren't endangering you directly, though my heart goes out to the folks affected, and for the loss of habitat and wildlife.)

Anonymous said...

I want to congratulate you for getting that job. Hope I can find my nursing job.

Psycgirl said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Hooray! That is awesome!

Psych Post Doc said...

Congrats. What a roller coaster but all good in the end.

Anonymous said...

Hooray and congratulations!

K

~profgrrrrl~ said...

congratulations!!!

Flavia said...

Hooray for a real salary and professional status! Congrats, SG.

Albatross said...

Congrats!

Seeking Solace said...

Cheers to you!!!!

RageyOne said...

awesome! `

Julep said...

Yay!

Anonymous said...

yay yay yay for job!!

Chaser said...

Many congratulations.

Arbitrista said...

That's awesome.

Grace Dalley said...

Congratulations, Styley! I'm really pleased for you. A real job in the same place as Geekman! :-D

Liz Miller said...

WOOOHOOO!!!! That ROCKS!