Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Strategies I've been forced into thanks to this ****ing heatwave

Bringing a towel to work and taking cold showers every few hours.

Sleeping in the lounge with the balcony doors and curtains wide open (verdict: does not help).

Bringing a laptop to work and working in the air-conditioned tea room instead of my heat-trap office.

Stealing fans from other people's offices while they are out to lunch.

Setting out bowls of ice-cold water for the cockatoos to bathe in when they show signs of impending heat stroke. (Honestly, there is nothing more piteous than a panting cockatoo, wings stretched away from its body, drooping against your window.)

Giving up and going home to lie under the air-conditioning.

7 Comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

You deserve many high-fives for looking out for the well-being of the cockatoos.

Joanna said...

StyleyGeek, it's cool today in [city where we live]. And at least you have aircon at home - I just have a fan.

StyleyGeek said...

Joanna, the forecast today is 31 (88F). That is better than the high thirties we've been having, but if you're considering it 'cool' I think maybe you've been sitting in the sun too long :)

Anonymous said...

when I lived in Toronto during a heatwave (and we had NO aircon and it was 35 degrees at 11pm), the only way I could sleep was to wet two handtowels, put them in the freezer for an hour, then wrap them around my neck and ankles when in bed.

It worked well.

Bardiac said...

Yay for parrot baths! I'll bet they appreciate them :)

I'm completely jealous. I like sweat! (Yeah, I thought a rain forest was pretty much my ideal.)

Ursula said...

I am having bad flashbacks now to lying under a wet sheet with the fan on me, trying to get to sleep during a horrible Chicago heatwave.

Of course, with wind chill, it's predicted to be -25 C here today, so I'm still envying your heat...just a little.

Jessi said...

It's so funny reading this from the US because currently, I still have almost a foot of snow and the temperature just dropped again, lol. Hope your heat wave dies down soon.