Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I know how he felt, but... wow.

Email from an editor, a colleague of mine, to a potential contributor:

"Dear Author, thank you for your submission. We feel that it has great potential, but we would need you to expand the background section. Also, your use of [technical term 1] and [technical term 2] is unusual, so we would ask you to reconsider this and if you do choose to use them, please explain your definition in the paper, and justify using them this way."

By return email five minutes later (so clearly a carefully considered response).

"Screw you. I won't use ANY technical terms then. See if I care!"

Yes, this really happened.

5 Comments:

Ianqui said...

Yikes. Can he be rescinded as a potential contributor?

Bardiac said...

Wow, someone needed a nap before hitting send!

StyleyGeek said...

I think he'll probably rescind himself. With that attitude, I doubt he's going to make the revisions anyway.

And yes, a nap might have helped.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I so know how he felt. really, I did. But you've got to develop some kind of filter.

Addy N. said...

OMG! I wonder if he's having email regret! Wow.