Saturday, November 24, 2007

If I can't vote, I'm at least going to drone on and on about my political views. Also, free doughnuts.

In less than 24 hours, our own mini-George Bush will be OUT!

Of course, I said that last election too, and apparently the voting public didn't listen to me.

The trouble with getting a full picture is that I have never met a John Howard supporter in my life. After four years here, I feel totally safe assuming that anyone I meet feels the same way about Howard that I do, because it's worked for me so far. Which means, I guess, that there must be hordes of Howard supporters out in the wops (in as far as this city doesn't count as the wops), all mowing their sheep, or whatever rural people do, and talking about what a lovely boy Johnny is.

Let's hope not.

And as Geekman points out, given the number of people who are threatening to emigrate to New Zealand if Howard wins this one, there'd be no chance of ever changing the government in the future.

Anyway, free doughnuts.

6 Comments:

Jenny said...

I know a few people who used to be Howard supporters and have since seen the light, but that's about it. Personally I go Greens in the Senate and Labour for the House of Reps (and I was thrilled when I found out that my electorate up north has been declared marginal after 30 years of being completely Liberal, yay!).

Badaunt said...

I've got my fingers crossed.

If the Australians emigrate to NZ, they'll just be joining the crowds of Americans who are already there for political reasons. I was talking to my brother last night, who is a builder, and as usual when I talk to him, he is in the middle of building a house for yet another disaffected American.

What will happen if NZ swings to the right? Will they all leave again?

StyleyGeek said...

That's funny: I thought disenchanted Americans move to Canada. And I think there is some sort of physical law---conservation of politics, perhaps---that requires that English-speaking countries preserve a balance of left-wing and right-wing governments, in order to give unhappy voters emigration opportunities.

Badaunt said...

Well, it's possible my brother has had as clients the only three Americans in his area (I don't call all that often), but secretly I've been blaming them for housing prices going through the roof.

Incidentally, things are looking good! Just been checking Google news...

Anonymous said...

As I am one,I'm going to hazard my guesses about American people emigrating.It think they're disaffected on levels other than the politics. They must be affluent,because poor people can't move. Middle people have to stay near their jobs. So the emigrants are in some sort of profession where they can work anywhere- medical, writer, artist, etc.
When we see video of NZ, we see mountains and water- not freeways, pollution and factories. So maybe they want the adventure- a bit of land and some nice animals?

RageyOne said...

I know nothing about AU politics and the such, but I must comment on the doughnuts. Holy crap! Ya'll have the best ever doughnuts ever. Love Krispy Kreme doughnuts even though they seem to add 5 pounds to my body by just smelling them. LOL!