Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Me vs the world the university health centre

Dear [Nurse],

I have been trying to call between 2 and 4pm as required to get test results. I keep getting put onto voice mail. Then I found this email address. I am waiting for test results for two tests (A and B). Can you tell me whether you have these yet?

Regards,
StyleyGeek.

Dear StyleyGeek,

We have the two test results you mention. Please come and collect them.

Regards,
Nurse.

Dear Nurse,

I picked up the results today. Rather than two results, you gave me two copies of the same result (test A). I need the results for test B too. Do you have these?

StyleyGeek.


Dear StyleyGeek,

We do not have any results for test B. Were you expecting some?

Nurse.

Dear Nurse,

Yes. I was, rather. Do you think they are still coming and just delayed, or do you think the results have been mislaid?

StyleyGeek.


Dear StyleyGeek,

We do not have the results.

Nurse.

Dear Nurse,

Do I need to have the test redone?

StyleyGeek.


Dear StyleyGeek,

I spoke to your doctor here and she feels she requested all the necessary tests. Perhaps test A screened for condition B at the same time?

Nurse.

Dear Nurse,

I have just phoned the IVF clinic and they really do require both test A and test B (separate tests). They can't see me again until they have the results for these. I remember the doctor writing requests for both tests and you taking blood for both. Do you think the lab might have mislaid the results? Or could there have been a problem with the samples? How would I find out if this was the case? Or should I just have the test redone?

StyleyGeek.


Dear StyleyGeek,

We do not have any results for test B. If you need further details, please consult with the IVF clinic.

Regards,
Nurse.

10 Comments:

L said...

Have you moved to England? This sounds like a conversation with the NHS :)

Nicola said...

Aaarrrgh!

Anonymous said...

I am fairly sure they won this conversation.

Shelley said...

Try phoning the pathology company directly. Assuming everything's been done they should be able to send direct to IVF. Next time make sure the doctor puts on the request form that a copy is to be sent directly to you. And another to your IVF doctor. Patients shouldn't have to do this kind of running around.
I think all university medical centres suck. No idea why.
(Is it massively obvious that I work for a pathology company?)

StyleyGeek said...

Thanks for the advice, Nailpolishblues. I have no idea what pathology lab they sent the samples to or how to get in touch with them. So I have emailed the nurse again and asked for those details. What's the bet she sends me another reply that says, "We do not have your results. (And these are not the droids you are looking for)."

And the results WERE meant to be sent direct to the IVF clinic. This whole fiasco started because they never turned up there.

Shelley said...

Judging by the stunning incompetence I suspect it might be the company I work for. Ooops. Sorry.

Psych Post Doc said...

UM... WOW, that's all I have to say about that.

StyleyGeek said...

Well, I won't hold you PERSONALLY responsible, Nailpolishblues. Anyway, given the nurse's inability to communicate, it's perfectly possible the problem is at her end, not with the lab.

a Shi said...

Sounds like the next litmus test for "idot proof".chael

Shelley said...

It's okay, everyone else does. I can take it!