Friday, September 19, 2008

Random bullets of food (without the bullets)

Last night I iced these biscuits ('cookies' to those of you of the American persuasian) with lemon icing and chocolate IPA symbols, to take to a linguistics event. Unfortunately, well... I don't want to prejudice you, so take a look at the photo and then highlight the white-on-white text in the brackets below to see if you see what I see.


Use your cursor to highlight here: [They look like someone pooped on them.]

Well, don't they?

Please let me know if you saw it before reading the text between the brackets above. If too many of you did, I'm going to redo them with chocolate icing and white symbols.

To make up for that, here's my favourite ever soup recipe. It sounds boring, but try it and feel the magic!

Red lentil lemon soup (a variation on Turkish Mercimek)
1/2 cup of chopped onion
butter for cooking onion in and for making a roux
1/2 cup red lentils (these are awesome because they cook quickly and don't need to be soaked beforehand).
4.5 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
1.5 Tbsp flour
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup lemon juice

Fry the onion in the butter until soft and transparent. Add the stock. Once it is boiling, add the lentils. Cook for 30 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Put through a blender, or squeeze through a sieve, or if you like slightly chunkier soup, just use a potato masher to squish it up a bit. (If you don't do this at all, you might find the soup a bit thin). Make a roux with 1.5 Tbsp of butter and the same amount of flour. Add to the soup and boil for another three minutes. Whisk egg yolk and milk together. Pour a cup full of the hot soup into the egg/milk mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour the whole lot back into the soup. Once it returns to the boil, add the lemon juice and serve with crusty bread. This recipe makes enough for three hungry people, or four if you are more reserved.

This is yellow and creamy and lemony and if you aren't careful, you'll eat so much you explode.

In other news, MANGOES! I bought four yesterday at $1 each. They were so unheard-of-ly cheap because they need to be eaten right away. (What a shame!) Fortunately I am up to the challenge and plan to spend the rest of today going munch munch drip, splatter splatter munch drip. If you need me, I'll be the one slurping away over the sink.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha... Aww... No no, I didn't think that AT ALL. I thought you were going to say that one of your symbols was wrong and actually ended up meaning something very offensive. :) I think you're good-to-go. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
:)

ps) I don't cook, but I'll give your recipe to someone who does and "pay it forward" :)
pss) I wish I could chomp one of those yummy-looking biscuits!

JaneB said...

No, I didn't see it either. You're good to go!

I make a soup like that but without the egg and flour, and using plain water instead of stock so the flavour is all from the onion/lentil/lemon, just slightly less water and more lentils so that it's more of a pottage than a thinner soup - lower calorie and vegan - and SOOOO yummy. Anyone who's in doubt, this is a simple, cheap, great tasting soup combination!

Adding carrots and a little ground cumin with the onions is a nice variation.

Anonymous said...

Not even close, Styley! If you want an example for comparison, you should check out the hilarious Cake Wrecks Blog - there's one at the end of this post.

Bardiac said...

I was too busy being proud of myself for knowing Yogh and Eth! I think they look GREAT!

You could probably convert legions of graduate students to linguistics if you offered them cookies. (Like we need more graduate students in the humanities...)

Anonymous said...

Nope didn't see it... then again - I'm a former voice major - I just saw dreaded IPA symbols! LOL!

RageyOne said...

Nope, I didn't think that at all. I laughed when I read your comment though.

Anonymous said...

They look like someone pooped on them.

I think you need to eat more fiber. It's really not supposed to look like that.

Anonymous said...

wow, that's so cool!

StyleyGeek said...

Well that's a relief! I guess maybe it was because I saw the chocolate being squeezed out of the tube - although the writing also looks rounder and bulkier in real life than it does in the photos. Everyone who has seen them in real life agrees with me that it looks like poop, but only after I point it out, so hopefully if I don't say anything tonight, no one will notice.

EcoGeoFemme said...

I didn't see poop and I agree that you need more fiber. :)