Sunday, November 09, 2008

Ooops

So the egg retrieval was meant to be Friday. Turns out, I'm responding extra-specially well to the medication. (Yay me.)

They're saying Wednesday.

Crap crap crappity.

On Wednesday, I am running a conference. All day. I'm being paid to do this. And I can't for the life of me think who would be able to take over. Everyone I know is either presenting at the conference, or only able to be there for part of the day. Someone is going to have to set up, pack up, herd presenters and session chairs to the right places, deal with any technological problems, liaise with the caterers, put out any fires, kiss the appropriate arses...

And in case I didn't mention, the egg retrieval is in a different city. So it's definitely an all-day thing. Maybe even a drive-up-the-night-before sort of thing.

I have no idea how I'm going to sort this one out. Let's just hope my follicle growth slows the fuck down, okay?

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say I have never in my life hoped anything about anybody's follicle growth. But for you? anything. here is hoping.

Nicola said...

Hey, they're *your* eggs. You say when you want them removed.

StyleyGeek said...

Jana, unfortunately that's not really how it works. The follicles grow at a given rate, and they can be slowed down or sped up to an extent by changing the medication dosage, but once they get to the right size, they have to be triggered and retrieved. If you let them grow too much, it puts you at higher risk for complications, as I understand it. Plus, I guess it would affect whether the eggs are fertilizable or not.

So anyway, if they are ready on Wednesday, they have to come out on Wednesday, and apparently my latest blood test suggests that's what might happen. Ultrasound tomorrow should give more clues.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Yikes, I didn't realize it was that time-sensitive... they couldn't put it off until Thursday morning??

Just think about the conference in terms of what would happen if you got violently ill --- and who would be able to take over parts... Could Geekman help out, at least in the little details department?

Bardiac said...

Wow, that's a tough one. But Philosophy Factory asks a good question, no?

Good luck with the whole thing!

(Capcha: foris, as in, "How far is't to Foris?" or something like that in Macbeth!)

StyleyGeek said...

ITPF - that's what I'm trying to do, but no one is springing to mind. It would be seriously weird for Geekman to do it, as no one in my dept knows him, and it's my dept's conference. I guess it's not impossible, though...

I can think of people who might be able to do small parts, e.g. someone who could set up, someone who could pack up, someone who could make sure morning tea arrives when it should, etc. But it worries me not to have an overall "go to" person in case of problems. I.e. someone who is ultimately responsible and present all day so the presenters can ask them if they are having problems with anything, or the caterers can ring them if there's a delay, or whatever.

StyleyGeek said...

Oh, and as for Thursday morning, they are saying Wednesday morning, currently, so Thursday morning would be a whole 24 hours later.