Monday, November 10, 2008

So it's Wednesday (because I have scary ovaries)

22 follicles ready to go, and another 21 undersized. For those keeping score (so, um, none of you, I guess), that's around three times the average number. No wonder I feel like someone inserted a freight train in my abdomen.

Fortunately I did manage to find people to make the conference run smoothly. No single person will be present for the whole thing, but I'm thinking of it as an experiment in distributed organisation. Surely if for every session there is someone who is ultimately responsible, nothing can go wrong, can it?

(Except between the sessions. And lunch and tea breaks, while important, are not the MOST essential part of a conference. Except when you're a grad student, I guess.)

7 Comments:

Liz Miller said...

First, I want you to know that my captcha is "ovitic". Which is really funny.

Second, remember, the really hard part of a conference is in the months of pre-planning. Your crew of go-to people will do a great job for you and you will reward them with cupcakes.

All will be well.

Grace Dalley said...

Wow, what awesome ovaries!!

Best of luck with everything Styley.

*Hugs*

Joanna said...

Good food at tea breaks (and lunch, if your conference is generous) means you can rely on people to be at the place where tea is. So it makes it much easier if you're trying to find a specific person to discuss something.

Where's the conference? Can I come by and grab food? ;)
[As a grad student, I *had* to ask]

Nicola said...

Good luck, Styley! Take Geekman with you in case you need him.

Anonymous said...

Go you - what an awesome person you are to do this. I know that it is no walk in the park. Are you going to donate any extra eggs to an anonymous infertile person?

StyleyGeek said...

The clinic we are going through doesn't do anonymous donations. I don't know if that's common here in Australia at all, actually.

Besides, even though they got 48(!) follicles at the retrieval today, not all of them will be mature, not all of those will fertilise, and not all of the fertilised ones will successfully divide and make it to day five. Then it's also not a given that the one they implant will succeed. So you can never have "too many" eggs/chances.

And then once fertilised, of course, the embryoes belong to my friends, to do with as they wish. (Which does include the possibility of embryo donation (to known donors) later if they complete their family and there are still embryoes on ice.

StyleyGeek said...

Oh, and Johanna, I'm sorry I didn't reply to you in time! You totally could have turned up for the food :) The conference was open to everyone, including from other disciplines. But now it's over. (And went well, hooray.)