Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Random bullets of family

  • My father left himself a note by the computer this morning before he left for work. It says "Intravenous air tickets".
  • I am trying to coordinate my family for graduation in July. My mother says she really wants to come, but she has her annual conference for work the same weekend, so she's trying to come up with a compromise. Given that the two events are in different countries, I don't see that working.
  • My father says that no one invited him anyway, and he doesn't know the dates, but he'll think about it.
  • My parents-in-law, who I really didn't expect to come over, already booked tickets (I suspect they booked the minute they heard that I was doing a PhD.)
  • My brother, who I hardly communicate with, has also mysteriously booked tickets.
  • My mother says she is trying to be grown up about the possibility of my father being there, but she'd like not to have to actually be in the same room with him at any point, unless it's a really, really big room. With him at the far end.
  • My parents-in-law say that if my father is there, they refuse to talk to him. Please keep him away from them, kthxbai.
  • My brother would really rather not stay in the same accommodation as my mother.
  • My mother says that it's wonderful my brother is planning to attend and it will be a marvelous opportunity for them to spend some quality time bonding. Can they both please stay with us?
  • Although there are definitely at least three people coming from overseas to attend, plus Geekman, I am only guaranteed two tickets for guests. At most, I can apply for three extra, and there is a lottery for extra tickets. That means I will have five tickets at most. If Mum, Dad, my brother, and my parents-in-law all come, including Geekman I will have six guests.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

And you thought getting the wedding guests across the flooded river was tricky!

Anonymous said...

that's awkward.

RageyOne said...

very tricky.

Anonymous said...

perhaps you should consider another phd in tourism and hotel management before tackling this unexciting problem... good luck with it all!

Lucy said...

Does your uni have a black market for graduation tickets? I knew some people who made $50 a ticket off their spares here.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Wow... you could have your own, intra-family lotto for the tickets -- but only people who can sit together and play nice can enter.... which seems to rule out your side of the family.

Have Geekman video tape with narration (which would be the best part) , then post it to You Tube and everyone can travel to Austrailia and watch it on the internet from their respective hotel rooms....

Anonymous said...

Train Rosellas* with CCTV cameras and have them pipe the video into the separate rooms/pubs that the overflow different family members are at. Save the W&P for those who will appreciate it.

*Cockatoos would just eat them.

Stellar_muddle

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Is there a video link-up at all? We were limited to 2 guests each, so my sister and Gran watched from a nearby lecture theatre. I did the same for my ex's PhD graduation. If enough people ask, they may set something up. And then you can have people who don't get along in 2 different rooms after all!

I second Grace, it's a tough call whether this or the washed out bridge is the trickier problem...