Monday, January 21, 2008

And what if the sun went nova? What THEN?

When I write computer programs, Geekman always disapproves of my code.

"You have to think about contingencies," he tells me. "Using that sort of simple container for faculty member information might be fine for now, but it will have serious problems if your department suddenly employs an extra 200 people. And as for your alphabetising function: what if they add extra letters to the alphabet?"

I tell him I'm willing to take BOTH those risks. Because I'm a daredevil like that.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Please pat GM on the head from me (and tell him he is very cute!)

Flavia said...

I love your conversations with GM. Though I think the spider one is my favorite so far. . .

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

ohhh.... your risky one, you... What's next, going out on a sunny day without an umbrella?

EcoGeoFemme said...

I have decided that you are hilarious. I haven't been reading your blog for all that long, but I already know that I am assured at least a chuckle here.

StyleyGeek said...

Thanks, ecogeofemme! I'm glad you like it.

ScienceGirl said...

That IS some daredevil web code :)