Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hooray for exploitation!

I was asked today to step in and teach the big intro course in our department this coming semester. Unfortunately, the circumstances surrounding the inability of the usual person to teach it mean that this person has also not put together a syllabus, ordered the textbooks, reserved the library loans, or, well, anything. And the course starts in four weeks. Three of which I will be in New Zealand for.

Stupidly, I'm really excited about this job, even though intellectually I know I should be raising one ironic eyebrow and drawling, "Hooray for last minute sub-minimum-wage academic exploitation". Screw it. I'm going to be excited anyway, on the other half of my brain.

5 Comments:

Arbitrista said...

Tee hee. You mean the exploited half of your brain is happy?

Nicola said...

Well done! Come and commiserate with me: I've got one - and maybe two - courses to prepare, and I'm going to be in Cape Town for the duration...

ScienceGirl said...

Glad you are not letting the negative spoil your excitement :)

StyleyGeek said...

Jana - what? You aren't coming to Australia after all? What are you doing teaching in Siewth Efrica?

Badaunt said...

Congratulations! Commiserations!


(There. That's both sides of your brain taken care of.)