Saturday, January 19, 2008

Is this a gender difference, or is one of us just strange?

"I'm just going to put some of that stuff on your bedside table away, in case people come in here during the party."

"Why? We're married. People know we have sex."

"Yeah, but there's a difference between abstractly knowing we have sex (at unspecified times, in unspecified ways), and seeing the evidence."

"Why?"

"For me, at least, it's like the difference between people knowing I wear a skimpy nightdress, and me answering the door wearing it."

"Why would that be a problem?"

"Well, I guess I figure that if people see that I've just had sex, or that I'm wearing skimpy nightwear, it might trigger them to imagine what I'm like in bed or something, and talking to someone when you think that they might be thinking about having sex with you is just embarrassing."

"Girls are weird."

11 Comments:

michiexile said...

Every time I try to affirm some general and sweeping statement it ends up coming out badly. So I won't.

That said - while I can completely understand Geekman's line of reasoning, I actually at least try to hide the evidence before entertaining guests.

Though I know my wife has, at times, entertained guests wearing her pajamas.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I think about it as more of a politeness issue. People know that we all use the restroom, but we still close the door -- especially during parties -- same thing for evidence of sex --

Anonymous said...

one of you is strange.

Anonymous said...

Yes, and it's him. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Now, of course, I'm imagining what you're hiding. A pile of condoms? Handcuffs? Whips?

I'd hide all those, but for different reasons.

Ianqui said...

I have to admit that I was wondering what you were hiding too...I mean, there's also a difference between people knowing that you have sex and the toys you use to do it! (Unless it's just condoms, in which case, I'd still hide it, of course, but it's less of a big deal.)

Anonymous said...

Styley, i wonder if this is as much a cultural difference as a gender one? Europeans are generally more open about sex than those of us with Anglo-Saxon heritage.

StyleyGeek said...

Yeah, but he doesn't get to pretend to be European about things like that, and claim English native speaker status the rest of the time :)

As for what I was hiding, closer to the condoms end of the scale than the whips and handcuffs end :)

Weekend_Viking said...

We tend to hide the painfully obvious evidence (ropes, cuffs, pR0n, etc), but have never really been bothered about much else - the dodgy books have their own relatively public shelf in the bookshelf, etc. Even had a black leather whipping stool as bedroom furniture for some months once, which nobody blinked much of an eye at (mind you, it was a KAOS party leftover, borrowed from contacts with a local BDSM group).

ScienceGirl said...

As a European married to an American, I tend to think that culture differences on this might be stronger than gender differences.

Nicola said...

I have to admit, when I discussed this with Geekman on the phone, my angle on it was that it was a good idea to hide things in case people thought they were party supplies. He said that this would simply have improved the party.