Friday, January 16, 2009

Donation update

Claudia was due for her first frozen transfer today. You may remember there were four embryos total, of which one had already been transferred, unsuccessfully.

So yesterday the clinic started defrosting. The first and second ones to defrost didn't survive the process. The third (their last chance) did. Claudia and Rob started the trip to Sydney at five o'clock this morning. Halfway there they had a call from the clinic not to bother. The third embryo had not continued to develop.

So that was that. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that we only got one transfer from 40+ follicles (22 fertilised eggs). The clinic had also said they had a near-100% successful thaw rate, so we're all wondering how come we got to be such outliers.

I've offered to do another cycle if they want to try again. I initially thought I'd do one only, but honestly the last one was no big deal, and I'm too invested in the process to give up now.

9 Comments:

Psych Post Doc said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure they're terribly disappointed.

Grace Dalley said...

Styley, I'm so sorry. That's horribly disappointing. How could harvesting so many lead to a nil result?!!

Um, to display my total ignorance, If you donate a few times is there a chance that you might run out? Because don't we only mature a few hundred during our fertile years?

StyleyGeek said...

No, that's not how it works. Every month you lose many eggs anyway. IVF just causes more of them to mature and be ready to fertilise. As it has been explained to me, the same number of eggs would be lost no matter what - without IVF drugs there's a sort of "race" to mature, and once one egg (or in some cases two or three) start maturing, the others that were getting ready are absorbed by the body. The IVF drugs stop this latter process (with greater or lesser degree of success - greater in my case apparently!) so that most or all of the potential eggs that month can be harvested.

Anonymous said...

How heartbreaking. I am very proud to know someone who is so willing to go through this invasive and sensitive procedure to give another couple a chance of having a family. Good-luck with another round.

Grace Dalley said...

Crikey!!

Anonymous said...

Ah Styley, that really sucks, I'm so sorry. I think it's really nice that you offered to do another cycle though. But does this mean you have to go through the getting test results hell again? lol

L said...

Sorry, that's awful. You are amazing for wanting to do it again... Rob and Claudia are very lucky to have you as a friend.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Oh, how disappointing!

ScienceGirl said...

Yikes, sorry to hear that. It is very nice of you to offer to go through another round - I am sure your friends appreciate it!