Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The master of literalness

Geekman and I were chatting today about how sweating doesn't seem to be a very common solution for mammals as the body's way of cooling itself. This led me down a side-track where I suddenly got to wondering: in places where it's over 37 degrees celsius more often than not, why don't people just keep overheating until they die? When I asked Geekman this, he looked confused that I had brought this up like a new topic. "I ask that all the time and you never have an answer."
"Huh? You never asked that question before."
"Yeah I did. Whenever the temperature here gets above 37 I say something like, "With this heat, how come everybody in this country isn't dead?""

And here was I thinking he was being all rhetorical.

1 Comment:

StyleyGeek said...

Posting comments to my own post. How postmodern.

Just to say, it was actually 36.5 degrees here today, so the question doesn't really arise. But we did have about five days in a row just after Christmas when the daily max was 38 or above. That's 100 degrees fahrenheit, in case anyone non-metric cares.