Thursday, May 18, 2006

More late-night paranoia

Someone whose IP address says they are at my university just accessed this blog. Creepy, creepy. I don't think I've ever had hits even from anyone in this town before who I hadn't directed to the blog myself.

The only small relief is that since it is 11 o'clock at night, the chances are pretty low that it is someone in my department. The only person I know of who ever works that late is... um... ScaryLecturer.

So hi, ScaryLecturer! How do you like being famous?

Seriously, though, random university colleague: if you are still here or if you come back and visit again, please tell me that you don't know me -- leave an anonymous comment or something. I would sleep so much better for the reassurance.

Actually, I think that should be general blog-reading practice -- if you access a blog that you can tell is by someone on your campus, you should leave a note to reassure them you aren't their department's administrator and about to dooce them. (Or their supervisor and about to glare at them.)

It's not like I'm the only paranoid blogger who checks their referral stats incessantly. (Is it?)

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not like I'm the only paranoid blogger who checks their referral stats incessantly. (Is it?)
No, I do it too. I don't know anyone who doesn't, really.

Nicola said...

How can they know whether they're at the same university as you when you haven't said in your blog which university you're attending?

StyleyGeek said...

Turtlebella -- I'm glad I'm not the only one. Have you ever thought someone who knows you might have discovered your blog?

Morton T Fogg -- Very funny. And it would have been even funnier if you had logged in anonymously. How I would have laughed! In fact, I would have been laughing so hard I might have accidentally banned you from ever commenting here again :)

Jana -- to be honest (and reassuringly) if they had just read a few posts, which it looks like they did, they couldn't have known. If they had gone through the archives, though, or seen specific posts, it would have been pretty clear. There are photos I've posted here that were taken on campus, for example, and I give plenty of clues to which town I'm in, and there is only one university here with a postgraduate program in linguistics.

I indulged in a little bit of obsessive stalker behaviour today, and discovered narrowed down the building the IP address belonged to. It wasn't the linguistics dept, which was a relief, but it was one of the student halls of residence, so it could potentially have been one of my students. The chances of that are pretty small, though, and the chances of them recognising the uni from just reading a couple of posts are also fairly small.

So I'm not obsessing about it any more. Really. Truly.