Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Strategic thinking

Writing the post earlier today about seating arrangements in the office reminded me of a conversation from when Geekman and I went out to dinner with four friends in the weekend just been.

More diagram for incompetent people who can't follow my perfectly clear descriptions.



As we were shown to our table in the corner of the room, the usual shuffle-shuffle dance of who wants to sit where took place. One guy (and those of you who know us in real life can no doubt guess who it was) claimed he needed to sit in the corner so he could see the door and no one could get behind him. "I learned in Patagonia to always take that seat," he said. "It's the most defensive position."

Geekman, on the other hand, demanded the seat that is labelled here as "2". "If I sit there," he pointed out, "I can reach everyone else's plates. And the waiter will probably pass things to me first."

We all looked slightly stunned by this display of greed honesty. Then he added, "I guess you could call mine the most offensive position."

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That first person sounds like my ex.

All very well for him to be in the post defensive position...but that doesn't say a lot for how he feels about everyone else around the table!

Anonymous said...

You got yourself a goofy one there, StyleyGeek!

StyleyGeek said...

Is that a good thing, turtlebella?

And clair, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right! Unless he was thinking he could defend us all... But probably not from that corner.