Thursday, May 11, 2006

Paranoia

ScaryLecturer just stuck his head around the door.

"Everything okay with Intro?"
"Yes, thanks."
"You would tell me if one of the students died or anything, wouldn't you?"
"Um... yes. Are you expecting someone to?"
"No. Just checking." And he left.

I've been wracking my brains for possible reasons for this surreal question, and the only one I could come up with was that he's discovered this blog and deliberately said something blogworthy to test for certain whether he is ScaryLecturer. And this possibility kept me from posting for, like, a whole ten minutes.

But until someone comes up with a better theory, I will remain mystified and slightly paranoid.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Could have been a joke! Academics' senses of humour can be somewhat strange and puzzling. ;-)

Anonymous said...

So exactly how much of a absent-minded type is ScaryLecturer? I was thinking of him as that typical type that is kind of vague and would just randomly say something like that.

Of course, if he HAS figured out that you have a blog and he is reading this I'm sure he's thrilled to find out that random person across the globe thinks he's a bit out there. But of all the archetypes for a professor the absent-minded one is pretty good one. Hi ScaryLecturer!

StyleyGeek said...

He doesn't actually come across as absent-minded in his manner or the way he talks, but certainly behaves in lots of ways that show he probably is.

I think Grace's theory is probably right, in that he was trying to be funny. But he said it all with a completely straight face.

I am still a little paranoid. I keep thinking, "What if he googles himself and finds this?" and then I realise he probably wouldn't google for "ScaryLecturer", because he doesn't know that's his name.

Hey, maybe I'm the one destined to be an absent-minded professor. I think that would be fun.