Monday, May 08, 2006

They don't employ her for her listening skills

"Hi, I'm calling from [government department]. There's a typo on your invoice for the work you did on our website."

"Oh. Sorry about that. Can you just cross it out?"

"No, I'm afraid we need a new copy. Are you able to fax one to us today?"

"Actually, I don't have access to a fax machine, but I will be coming in later today anyway to do some more work, so I can bring in a new copy then."

"Um... okay... But there's also another form we need you to sign to authorise the payment. If you just give me your fax number, I'll send it to you now."

"Uh, like I said, I don't have a fax. But can't I fill that out when I come in today?"

"Sure. Right. So do you have our details?"

"You mean who I should see about all this? No. Just let me get a pen.... Right."

"So... it's probably easiest if I just give you my fax number. Then you don't need to come in at all."

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes you wonder whether she was actually one of those computer-generated voices! And by the way, why does everyone assume that everyone else has a fax machine?! Like, sure, I have one in my spare bedroom, just waiting around for that next all important fax!

StyleyGeek said...

I think faxes are kind of cool, in a "hey look, archaic technology!" type way. But I just couldn't get over how she wasn't listening to me AT ALL. The conversation actually took another couple of turns in which she twice more assumed I had access to a fax, but I decided to leave those off because it started to look so unrealistic that I thought everyone would think I was exaggerating.

So I was under-exaggerating, if anything.

And Turtlebella, if she wasn't an electronic voice, maybe someone should employ her as one.