Friday, December 07, 2007

According to the evaluations...

... my students want:

  • full typed up notes distributed at every lecture
  • a whole class devoted to revision before each quiz, assignment and exam
  • not to have to read or hear about any information that won't be on the exam
  • not to have to come to class if they don't feel like it, and not to have to expend any effort to catch up when they skip.
Silly me, I thought that university was about learning to make your own notes, to do your own revision, and about learning the occasional interesting thing for its own sake, rather than just for credit. Oops. My mistake.

If I didn't know that it was only a tiny minority of students making these comments, and if the overall evaluation statistics were not excellent, I would be seriously depressed.

4 Comments:

la rebelde said...

i've run into that same issue with students. i chalked it up to the corporatization of universities. it's frustrating.

Anonymous said...

wait, that's *not* what we should do?

Unbalanced Reaction said...

I'm surprised that they didn't also ask for a big spoon so that you could even more readily spoon-feed them everything! ;)

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Whenever I use powerpoint--which really does help to organize a bigger lecture--- they ask why I don't put the slides online.

Garrrrr.