Sunday, October 29, 2006

Every day you learn something new

I just learned that you can stand in a busy carpark in the middle of the day and break into a car with a wire coathanger without anyone so much as questioning your motives (which were to rescue the keys we had just locked inside, in case you are wondering). A police van even drove past while we were doing it and the policeman in the passenger seat watched us lazily, but didn't ask us what we were doing.

It took us a while to get in (our incompetence proving, I guess, that we are not professional thieves -- maybe that's why no one stopped us). And when we finally did, I congratulated Geekman.

"It was nothing," he said. "I'd run out of other ideas, so the only option I had left was to try using the dynamic coefficient of friction."

Most people would say he jerked the coathanger hard.

6 Comments:

Twirly said...

Do you think Geekman can come give a brief lecture to my classes on linear and angular momentum - as evidenced by their work I did a crapped up job of explaining it!!

Jenny said...

A friend and I got really desperate after returning from a 5-day tramping trip a while back, and broke into the car with a lengthy blade of grass. Never again.

Unknown said...

How come your life is so much funnier than anyone else's in the world?

StyleyGeek said...

Because I am so much cooler than everyone else that I deserve it.

Seriously, though, I think I'm just the sort of person who ALWAYS sees the funny side of everything. Even when there is no funny side. Which makes me unpopular at funerals. (I'm the one giggling in the back row).

StyleyGeek said...

Also, I think that Miss M.'s story in this case is even funnier than mine. And Anastasia's maybe is too.

See, it's not just me.

Jenny said...

It wasn't really very funny at the time (probably due to being cold and tired and hungry), but I suspect its the nature of such stories only to be amusing in hindsight.