Friday, July 27, 2007

A taste for free food is not easily lost

I just attended the inaugral meeting of a new support group for PhD students who are also convening courses. The funniest part was this conversation:


Facilitator: "You know, I think I could find some funding to provide the group with pizza, if you want to meet over lunchtimes."

Student/lecturer #1 (disdainfully): "Are you thinking of us as poor students who need free food?"

Student/lecturer #2: "Yeah! We have real jobs now! We can afford lunch!"

Student/lecturer #3 (quietly): "Although they don't pay us very much..."

[Brief pause while everyone looks shame-facedly at the floor and wrestles with conflicting feelings.]

Facilitator: "So what is the best time of day to have these meetings?"

All students/lecturers, unanimously: "LUNCHTIME."

Facilitator: "And I'll organise the pizza then, shall I?"

Students/lecturers #1, #2 and #3 (meekly and in unison): "Yes, please."

4 Comments:

phishez said...

Thats brilliant. Free food never goes astray. Especially if its pizza.

Seeking Solace said...

Yeah, you just don't turn down free pizza at lunch!!!

Bardiac said...

I don't even ask... when I want the faculty folks here to come en masse to a meeting, I make sure there's food.

The dean? He has the authority to make sure there's wine for an afternoon open discussion. It's good to be the dean!

Keri said...

Hee hee! That's great!