Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bring on the fear and worship

Me talking with my office mate:

"I've just had another email from someone who didn't get her abstract in by the conference deadline. But I'm inclined to view this one favourably."

"Why? Did she have a good reason?"

"No, but she started the email with, 'Dear Professor StyleyGeek, I am pleading with you to extend the workshop deadline'. I like people calling me professor and throwing themselves on my mercy."

"In that case, you're perfectly suited to a career in academia."


Technorati tags:

2 Comments:

kristina said...

Be careful what you wish for! What is the conference topic?

I really liked your comment to my post about "teaching Greek in the age of ADHD" (which a student really did suggest to me). I used to write conjugations and declensions over and over and over into the dark hours of the night and early morning, while listening to Bach. And I also used to run cross-country and I'd go over didomi and iemi and all of them as I ran...

StyleyGeek said...

The conference is a general linguistics one, but the one-day workshop I'm in charge of is on syntactic change. No doubt there will be many angsty posts about it when the actual workshop date draws near (July).