Wednesday, March 29, 2006

What Starbucks has done for Australia

Coming into uni this morning, I saw a gang of louts: guys in their late teens or early twenties, wearing hooded sweatshirts with the hoods pulled up, sneakers with the laces undone or missing, trouser crotches halfway down to their ankles. They were lumbering along, jostling each other and grunting as only young louts can do.

And each of them was carrying a Starbucks takeaway cup of what looking to be some sort of flavoured macchiato with sprinkles on top.

Now that's what I call street-cred.

5 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Styley -- have you checked your email of late (styleygeek@gmail)?

ummmm sprinkles. Where I come from, we call 'em jimmies, though.

StyleyGeek said...

Oops. I keep forgetting. Will go look now.


"Jimmies?" You strange Americans, you.

Unknown said...

it's only a part of america that calls 'em that. When I say jimmies to people in other parts of the country, they look at me oddly, Same with when I say, "carAHmel" instead of 'carmel" or "hot cocoa" instead of "hot chocolate."

StyleyGeek said...

I ordered a custard square at one of the campus cafe's today. But the guy behind the counter looked at me like I was crazy, and I had to point to the thing lots before he knew which one I meant.

Turns out they're called "vanilla slice" here.

StyleyGeek said...

Argh! Rogue apostrophe alert! Please ignore the spelling of "cafes" above. My excuse is that I meant to write cafés and pressed the wrong punctuation. Really.