Thursday, May 03, 2007

Foot in the door

My supervisor has just offered me a job filling in for her when she is on sabbatical next semester! Not only does that mean real! live! money!, but, more excitingly, real! live! teaching!, i.e. full responsibility for her classes. (You can tell how happy I am about this from the amount of punctuation in the previous sentence.)

Dork that I am, this meant I lay awake all night planning syllabi and assignments and coming up with clever ways to mess with the little studentses' minds. And when I've achieved my dissertation-related goals for the day, I'm going to reward myself by going online and comparing textbooks.

Extra dorkily, the first thing I thought when she offered me the job was not, "Money!" or "That will look good on my CV," but rather, "That will pretty much guarantee a steady supply of entertaining anecdotes for blog posts." (Followed by, "Maybe I can encourage her to go somewhere wonderful on her sabbatical, so that she decides not to come back...")

18 Comments:

Aurelius said...

You're beyond hope when your first thought upon seeing something blog-worthy is to think "This is blog-worthy"

susan said...

That is very funny. And congratulations! See, a blog-worthy story about the bloggable thought on blogging that you first considered. Definitely a good sign for posts to come.

Gnome said...

Wow! Congratulations, sounds like it will be a lot of fun (and work).

Bardiac said...

Congrats! That just rocks!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're a real blogger unless you occasionally think about whether something you do is sufficiently blogworthy.

Nicola said...

Hey, what wonderful news! You'll love it.

Badaunt said...

But ... but ... blogging is what work is FOR, isn't it? It certainly makes it funnier. But it's a bit sad when I find myself staring out over a particularly boring class and thinking, "Come on, come on! Do something blogworthy!" and getting frustrated when they don't.

But occasionally they do or say something I don't know what to do with. An example: One of my students yesterday, while answering a question about family relationships, innocently added a comment about how she gets on really well with her father, and really enjoys having a bath with him. (She is 18.) This provoked a chorus of disbelieving shrieks, not least from me, which she seemed genuinely surprised by. Since then I've been trying to figure out how to fit the story into a blog post without attracting the wrong sort of readers.

And now, as you can see, I have figured it out. I have passed it on to YOU to deal with. :-)

Badaunt said...

Oh, and ALSO...

Happy birthday, and congratulations on the job!

(I've had a cold for the last ten days or so and not keeping up. Sorry.)

StyleyGeek said...

That student comment is VERY bizarre. Was it her English that was the problem? Could she possibly have meant "going swimming" or something more innocent?

Anonymous said...

hehe. CONGRATS! that is *very* exciting!

Jenny said...

You do realise that we'll all be expecting a string of completely hilarious posts on classes next semester?

(by the way, congrats!)

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

YEA!!! Good for you!

a Shi said...

Choice job bro'

Unknown said...

congrats!

Don't compare texts on-line - just go to the publisher sites and request exam copies of everything of interest.

saxifraga said...

Congratulations. That's a great opportunity. If only the students knew how much fun they will cause in the blogosphere.

StyleyGeek said...

Shrinkykitten: really? They do that?

(Even for people in Australia?)

StyleyGeek said...

A shi: you're doing it WRONG :)

Badaunt said...

Unfortunately, she said it in Japanese (hence the reaction from the class). There was no doubt.

Definitely bizarre. Especially her reaction, which was puzzlement at what everybody was so excited about.