Saturday, May 19, 2007

I heart my brother

I was going to write a long post about the past week here, and I might still do it later on, but for now I think the following anecdote sums things up quite well.

I picked up my brother from the airport today. He could only get one day off work, despite explaining to his boss that both his mother and his grandmother are down here in the hospital with cancer. But at least he is here until Monday.

My brother and I have never been close. In fact, years go by when we have almost no contact with each other. We don't really have anything in common. Mum was a little bit worried about him coming down at all, since he tends to need looking after rather than being any help around the place himself. As far as I can tell, his main hobbies are spending money, breaking things, and losing his job.

So anyway, I picked him up at the airport. He got into the car and asked me, "How long have you been over here?"
"Since Sunday," I replied.
"Aaah, good times," he said ironically. Then, with concern, "Have you had any good times lately?"
"Not exactly," I said, and started to cry.
"We'll have to do something about that, then!" he said. He took me to the shops, bought chocolate and sweets and all the ingredients for pancakes, drove me to the movies and made me watch Pan's Labyrinth and eat chocolate, and tomorrow he is cooking me pancakes for breakfast. (I think my no-sugar thing is on hold.)

11 Comments:

Liz Miller said...

Sounds like your brother's grown up a bit.
I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

I hope that bodes well for a good adult relationship with him. If nothing else, someone with whom to share the family craziness.

Take care of yourself babycakes. I prescribe pancakes daily, and anything else you want.

post-doc said...

I've been thinking of you - I'm glad you posted. A day without parrots in my bloglines folders is a sad day indeed. Do take care of yourself, OK?

I'm glad your brother is there and being all lovely. I wish I could do something to help as well.

Phantom Scribbler said...

Aw, Styley. Thinking of you here, and hoping the pancakes are indeed some good times.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story! Sugar is important in times like these.

Sending you best wishes and keeping you in my thoughts.

The History Enthusiast said...

I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Hang in there!

StyleyGeek said...

And now he's just done the vacuuming and the laundry, and has headed off to the shop to do the grocery shopping, fill up the car with petrol and buy the ingredients for the "special dinner" he has planned to cook tonight.

I think he's been kidnapped and replaced with an alien.

Bardiac said...

Sounds like he's grown into a wonderful brother! Worth their weight in gold.

Lucy said...

I'm glad your brother is giving you some support. Enjoy the pancakes. I'm sending you hugs, too. Take care!

Badaunt said...

That's lovely. I have similar relationships with three of my brothers - we hardly ever contact each other and have very little in common, but when push comes to shove we all know we'll be there for each other.

I've been wondering how things are going, and it's good to hear there's a bright spot in the misery.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Oh, I'm so glad! What a good brother.

And I totally love shrinky's pancake prescription. You'd better listen to her.