Monday, June 18, 2007

Random bullets of post office

It's not yet Wednesday, but I'm starting early with the whining.

Whine: I put off posting my mother's spare key* back to her for over a week, dreading the confrontation with the post office service people of doom, certain it would be difficult and complicated. Finally today I convinced myself I was being silly, put it in an envelope, and went to the post office.

  • Total queuing time: 1 hour 10 minutes.
  • Number of times the people at the counter sent me off to repack my key differently (and then join the back of the queue again): two.
  • Number of lectures I got on the importance of postal regulations and properly packed items: three.
Antiwhine: I guess that makes me prescient.

Bonus antiwhine: I got off lighter than the person in front of me who was trying to mail an envelope full of of potato chips to Israel.

_________

* I accidentally brought it back to Australia with me.

6 Comments:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Mmm.. sounds like they people from your post office went to the same customer service school that the people from my bank did....

Psycgirl said...

Dumb question - wouldn't it have been easier for your mother to get a new key copied?

Anonymous said...

What?!?! Australia's supposed to be perfect! When did that change??

But seriously, psycgirl is right about getting another key cut...

StyleyGeek said...

I know, psycgirl, and I suggested it to her, offering to pay her back for the cost next time I am over, but she says she doesn't have a spare $5 right now. And transferring money internationally costs way more in fees than it did to post the key.

Unknown said...

I guess it's good to know post offices are the same in other countries. Although i really get the idea that AUS postal regs are far worse than here.

Jenny said...

If you ever lose anything in the mail they're dreadful - a friend sent me something in one of those carboard tubes and didn't tape the ends down tight enough so the tube arrived with nothing in it. They have this lovely little form you can fill in, and they'll conduct an investigation, and tell you how it's going, but they never actually find anything.