Friday, December 08, 2006

This is so exciting!

I just bought tickets for Cirque du Soleil's Varekai performance when it comes to my town in April next year. I saw them once in Berlin when I was 16 and it was one of the most magical experiences of my life (maybe partly because I wasn't having to pick up the tab).

I was planning on getting B or C reserve tickets, but they were pretty much all sold out, except for a few seats at weird angles or next to a pillar. So I splurged on A reserve (don't tell Geekman!) and got some right in the centre, in the row directly behind the last of the VIP $250 ticket rows. So although even our A reserves cost more than I've ever spent on tickets to any show before, I'm telling myself we are getting $500 worth of ticket (for a lot less than that). After all, ours are probably better seats than the ones right on the edge of the VIP row in front of us.

Secret message to woman behind the ticket sales counter: After you have just convinced a customer to buy the A-reserve tickets, it's bad manners to farewell her by saying, "Of course, so much of the action is high up in the air that it doesn't really matter what seats you have."

5 Comments:

RageyOne said...

oh that sounds like fun! i'm sure it will so worth the $$$ spent. you must give us a report after you see the show.

Lucy said...

Awesome! I went to Cirque du Soleil recently, too and it was fantastic (and the A reserve seats were definitely better than our C reserve).

Anonymous said...

Varekai is my second (when I'm happy) or third (when I'm not) show of theirs. (After Alegria and, sometimes, Quidam.) They are absolutely worth the money, and there's no question but the better seats are better for a reason. It's absolutely worth it, if you can afford it.

You'll have such fun! I'm so jealous.

StyleyGeek said...

Alegria was the one I saw in Berlin. Are you saying Varekai is not quite as good? (I'm just curious so I'll know to adjust my expectations accordingly. I'm sure it will still be awesome.)

Anonymous said...

I am saying that I liked Alegria best. But remember that I see every show within two months of it opening, so the show is not always entirely set by the time I see it -- they are changing acts, adding, removing, reordering, etc. By the time they are on international tours (actually, by the time they leave the city) they are set. Also recall that Alegria had the song Alegria, which is perhaps their best song.

Varekai was the one about Icarus, as I recall. But seriously, it's in my top three of at least a dozen shows (yes, I am spoiled -- I have tickets for the new show in May, too), so I wouldn't adjust your expectations all that low -- the three are really close to each other, and all wonderful