Friday, March 14, 2008

A question of etiquette

If an acquaintance gives you a bag full of lemons from her lemon tree, and it turns out they are riddled with tiny worms that you almost didn't notice swimming in the juice before you drank it, do you tell her (once you are done being grossed out), or not?

Reasons to mention it:

  1. It might save her from eating her own wormy lemons by mistake.
  2. It's going to be awkward not to if she asks how the lemons were.

Reasons not to mention it:
  1. Does it matter if she eats wormy lemons if she doesn't notice they are wormy? It's a philosophical question, really: is a wormy lemon really wormy if nobody is there to be freaked out by it?
  2. She's going to be embarrassed that she gave you worm-infested lemons.
  3. Unless she was trying to kill you.

8 Comments:

L said...

I wouldn't say anything and lie that they were fine if asked...

Seeking Solace said...

I grow veggie in the summer, and I would want to know if there was a problem. I would find a kind, tactful way to tell the person.

BrightStar (B*) said...

If I were you, I would tell her only if she asked about the lemons, but if she didn't ask, I wouldn't tell her. I tend to ride a balance between conflict avoidance and total honesty, which can be a conundrum sometimes!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I give away a lot of fruit in summer and would like to know if there's some reason why I shouldn't!

And, eww! Gross! I didn't think anything would be able to survive and wriggle around in something as acidic as lemon juice.

Anonymous said...

there is almost no way I would tell her. unless she asked, i guess. I figure she'd find the worms on her own and I wouldn't want to embarrass her.

also, ew ew ew ew ew

Anonymous said...

Shit happens, I'd just tell her.
Something like, "I had to throw those lemons out, because they had tiny worms!"
And if that embarasses her, it's not like she did it on purpose. And there's no reason you should feel embarassed.

Anonymous said...

She's German. They appreciate frankness where English speakers would see rudeness.

Bardiac said...

Use a strainer? (Mmmm, you could call it a lemonaide protein shake!)