Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Any questions?

"So before I hand out the quiz, does anyone have any last-minute questions?"

Girl at the back waves her hand frantically.

"Yes?"

"What quiz?"

"The one I reminded you all about in the last lecture. Remember?"

"I haven't been to any of the lectures yet. I was on holiday in Europe."

"Well, it is stated on the syllabus that there was a quiz scheduled for the fourth week of classes."

"Where can I get a syllabus?"

"It's on WebCT. Anyway. As long as you've done the readings, you'll probably be okay. There's a couple of questions on things that weren't in the readings but only discussed in the lectures, but you'll still be able to pass."

"What readings?"

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, this happens to me ALL the time, even though I remind them constantly of what assignment is coming up next. Did your jaw noticeably drop? I'm not very good at hiding my surprise when stuff like this happens. Everyone in the room can tell what I'm thinking.

Anonymous said...

Hah! Holiday in Europe!

If she ends up failing or dropping her classes, that's going to end up being one danged expensive holiday!

WHY, oh why, do students/parents plan holidays that overlap school terms? I can only imagine that their priorities are different than mine. Their budgets, too. /nod

Anonymous said...

I'll say. And I don't get that students like this don't even feel the need to pretend they had a more important excuse. Like illness, or a family emergency. Even if I had skipped class due to being on holiday as a student, I wouldn't have admitted to it!