Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tuesday time-sheet

Routine essentials
Morning routine: 1 hour
Exercise (at the gym): 1 hour
Travel (cycling): 30 minutes
Cooking and eating: 45 minutes
Total: 3 hours 15 minutes

Work
Teaching preparation and admin: 5 hours 15 minutes
Meetings: 1 hour
Teaching: 1 hour
Thesis revisions: 1 hour
8 hours 15 minutes

Just for fun
Blogging and surfing: 35 minutes
Toastmasters preparation: 20 minutes
Knitting: 1 hour
Reading: 1 hour
2 hours 55 minutes


And that ends the week of this little experiment. Tomorrow I'll total up the time I spent doing various tasks and see what conclusions to draw. My preliminary impression is that I am mostly more productive than I had realised, and that I didn't understand how much of my time goes into routine things that have to be done. Also, I don't think there is as much difference as I had thought between how I spend time on a day that feels productive and how I spend time on a day that feels unproductive.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I can suggest a new experiment for you... how much time do you spend with Geekman daily?... according to your daily timesheet it wasnt much, but it could be hiding in other activities such as "lunch" or "watch DVD"...

StyleyGeek said...

Anonymous, it is very sweet of you to be concerned about my relationship.

Just to set your mind at ease, you should know that most of the activities listed, apart from work, we do together, or at least in the same room. We go to the gym together, we cook and eat together, we often cycle to or from university together, we watch DVDs together, go to social events together, and when we read books or surf the net, we are often in the same room (or same bed) and chat now and then while we do it.

A couple of other things that we do together, for the sake of not shocking my delicate readers, I left off the daily timesheets :)