Monday, April 16, 2007

Seasons greetings from border control

I mean to post this last week for Easter, but totally forgot.

I got a very exciting package from America about two weeks ago, and because it contained some food items, it arrived with an attached note to say it had been opened by the Quarantine inspectors. Inside the package, they had left a very helpful brochure explaining all about what you can and can't bring into Australia.

What really tickled me, though, was this page of the brochure, with a list of major holidays and information on what they would take away from you in honour of each. (Click to embiggen).


Like a gift list in reverse.

4 Comments:

Vinny said...

There's a great scene in "1942" where Ned Beatty fires an anti-ship gun by talking through the list of warnings he received, such as "whatever you do, don't load a round into the breach, don't release the safety mechanism...etc.". Your post made me think of this.

Great movie, by the way, if you are in an "Animal House" meets "Airplane" kind of mood.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Good thing that you received candy, which contains nearly no agricultural products that might disturb the local flora and fauna.

Badaunt said...

I once snuck a whole kilo of NZ bacon through Australian customs on my way back to Japan. It was a present for The Man, who was in foodie heaven when he visited NZ. Japanese bacon is crap.

I did it by going through the something to declare line and asking anxiously about the packet of tea I had. I rummaged messily around in my bag, avoiding the carefully concealed bacon, and showed the tea. The customs guy laughed patronizingly and waved me through.

(The things you do for love...)

Anonymous said...

I laud you for the word "embiggen". There is no reason whatsoever for that not to be a word. English speakers for a konsozierten Wortschatz! (If I knew the word for it, I would have written it in English. Oh, well.)