Friday, November 24, 2006

RSS feeds not updating

After a few comments from people about my RSS feeds not updating recently, I decided to look into it. And lo and behold, they haven't been updating in my bloglines subscription, either, and I just hadn't noticed.

I've solved the problem for me, and you can solve it for you too if you can be bothered, simply by unsubscribing to the feed that you currently have for my blog, and subscribing instead to this one:

http://beta.blogger.com/feeds/20717535/posts/full

In Bloglines you just stick that into the "Blog or feed URL" box and Bloglines will let you subscribe to it. I don't know how it works in other feed readers, but I'm sure you can work it out.

This is the format of all new beta blogger feeds, so if you are having problems with your own blog feed updating (and I can see from my subscriptions that a lot of you are), you could suggest that your readers try the same thing. You can use the same URL I give above, but replace the numbers that come between /feeds/ and /posts/ with your blog ID# instead of mine (unless you want all your readers to get a big surprise).

You can find your ID# by logging into Blogger Beta and clicking on "compose new post". Then look at the URL in your browser and you will see blogID= plus lots of numbers.

Good luck. And I'm sorry that there isn't (as far as I know) something that I can do to make my feeds start updating again for you all without you having to go to this extra effort. If anyone does know a better way, please pass it on!

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You can claim both feeds in bloglines and redirect the one to the other. Essentially you subscribe to both, go to account/publisher tools and it's pretty obvious from there. I think that's what finally worked for me.

StyleyGeek said...

Wolfa, you are awesome and I love you.

StyleyGeek said...

Of course, that won't help people who use a service other than bloglines...

StyleyGeek said...

Wolfa, it isn't working for me. Have you switched to Beta? Because when I get to the "verify your claim" bit, where they ask for your Blogger username and password, they won't accept anything I give them. Not for either feed. I've tried my old Blogger username and password, and my Gmail username and password, and my entire Gmail address and password, and they keep telling me they can't verify my details.

I wonder if it's because Beta uses your Gmail account details instead of a separate password.

StyleyGeek said...

Pretend I didn't ask that. I just realised you aren't on blogger at all.

Does anyone who is using Blogger Beta know how to claim feeds in Bloglines?

Anonymous said...

Use FeedBurner. Create a FeedBurner feed and encourage your readers to subscribe to that. Then you can change what feed goes through FeedBurner at your leisure, and your subscribers never have to worry about it.

Cherry said...

I've run into the same problem with Bloglines and Blogger Beta. I found they identified this bug in September but then say they fixed it. Alas, I started seeing the issue this month.

Good Luck!

StyleyGeek said...

Anonymous, that is one solution, but it would still require my subscribers to change the feed they subscribe to, so it's not actually an improvement on the original solution (them subscribing to the blogger beta feed).

But I contacted Bloglines and... actually, I'm going to do this in a new post so that other people will see it.