Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Things that make me want to cry already and it's only 9:30 am

  • I had to take the car into the mechanic this morning and that always makes me anxious.
  • I slept really badly because I spent all night dreaming of huge mechanic bills. And radioactive goldfish.
  • I'd taken my bicycle in the boot of the car to the mechanics so that I could get back home, and when I pulled it out, the chain had come off and got horribly tangled. I spent nearly 20 minutes trying to untangle it before some boy who looked about 12 years old came over from the bicycle shop across the road and, blushing furiously, sorted it out in about 30 seconds.
  • That made me feel incompetent and grateful and shy. And stupid for not having seen that there was a bicycle shop right there.
  • Then he offered to let me into the back of the shop to wash the grease off my hands. And there was nowhere to lean my bicycle against, which meant I had to use the stand, which I try to avoid doing because I haven't ever got the hang of folding it back up without kicking it solidly five or six times. And I was embarrassed to do that in front of people.
  • But I had to. And the older woman behind the counter intervened on the third kick and showed me a lever I hadn't noticed that made the stand fold up. And behold, I felt stupid again.
  • Then just now I stood on a patch of thistles. In open-toed shoes. And it hurts more than I thought it was possible to hurt from something as wimpy as a thistle patch. At first I looked around to see if there was a snake I might have been bitten by: that's how much it hurt. But no, just a wimpy clump of thistles. I had to dig out five big-ass prickles from my toes, though.
  • And finally (I bet you thought this was never going to come to an end), it's going to be 34 degrees today (93 F). In fact, it's already 27 (81 F) and it's only 9:30 am. The climate seems to have complete disregard for the fact that this time last week we had a high of 14 (57 F) and sleet.


The day can only get better, right?

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The stand on that bike was always "interesting"...
We have just managed 3 days of 33 degrees C +, with last night barely getting down below 29. We have now had a wind shift with some light rain bringing the temperature down to a more sensible level, and based on wind direct, that should arrive in your vicinity in the next day or so.

Stellar_muddle

StyleyGeek said...

Well, when I pressed it where the woman showed me to, it worked smoothly. But maybe that was a fluke. Believing that makes me feel better anyway :)

Yay for sensible temperatures. I'll have some of that, please.

Lucy said...

I hope the rest of your day is going more smoothly!

RageyOne said...

I hope the rest of your day was much better.

StyleyGeek said...

Yeah, it was. Thanks.

ZaPaper said...

You could be discouraged and embarrassed about the bike stuff... or you could feel glad because you got the job done and learned some new things! Also feel lucky because last time I had to fix my own bike--the chain just slipped all the way off and I had to stuff it back on--I didn't have anywhere to wash my greasy hands, ugh. Can't help with the thistle though. That just sucks. Am jealous of your weather. It's darn cold in Beijing!

Anonymous said...

I saw your/myold car in Dickson that day! If only I had known.

StyleyGeek said...

'In Dickson' as in 'at the mechanic's'?

Did you feel sorry for it?