Saturday, February 11, 2006

I heart hyperwords

This extension for Firefox (seen on Julie's blog) is just incredible. I think I'm in love.

Highlighting a word on any web page puts you one click away from searching for it, tagging it, emailing it, blogging it, translating it, buying it, or looking it up in a dictionary, map or on Wikipedia.

The only problem I have with it is that, once you've installed the extension, I don't think there's any way you can highlight a word without getting Hyperwords to activate the menu. And if you highlight a word or phrase from right to left, the menu appears directly over the word, making it difficult to see what you are doing if you have highlighted it in order to replace or retype it, rather than because you want to use Hyperwords.

Update: actually there is. I take it back. At the bottom of the menu is an item called "hyperwords" which, when highlighted, gives you "preferences", under which you can select whether the menu turns up every time you highlight a word or only if you press an extra key as well. I should have looked more thoroughly (but I did read the user manual, and there was nothing about this there!)

Technorati tags:

1 Comment:

StyleyGeek said...

Way to go! I wish all software developers had that approach to fixing problems! (I didn't even write to them about it).