Sunday, February 12, 2006

Replying to comments. Email or in-thread replies?

I've recently realised that it seems to be considered good etiquette in the blogging world to reply to comments by email instead of in the comment thread. This makes sense, but unlike a lot of blogs, Blogger doesn't ask people to give their email address when posting a comment, so it isn't easily visible for me to reply to.

Then when I saw a couple of days ago that Improbulus had made the effort to come over to my blog and look for an email address to reply to a comment of mine, I started to wonder if I should be doing that too.

So the last couple of days I've been replying to people's comments by email as well as in the comments thread. On the other hand, I don't want them to feel I'm stalking them. Or that they need to reply to my emails (unless they really want to).

So what to do, what to do? Any thoughts? Preferences?

Technorati tags:

1 Comment:

StyleyGeek said...

Since no one seems to have strong views on this, I take it that my regular visitors (yay! I have some!) don't mind me _not_ emailing them replies to their comments.

So I might just do the email thing when someone comments for the first time. That seems to make the most sense, since they are the people who are most likely not to come back again and so maybe wouldn't see any replies I leave.