Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A little bit of self-awareness is a wonderful thing

Ring ring!

"Hello?"

"Hello, dear. It's your mother. Do you remember how last night you got out some black cotton for me to sew up my handbag strap? Well, this morning I can't find it."

"Sorry, I put it away again. I thought you'd used it."

"No, I didn't get around to it, but if you just tell me where it is, I'll do it now."

"Well... okay. It's in the wardrobe in my bedroom. At the bottom of the wardrobe, on the floor, there is a plastic bag full of sewing stuff. The cotton is in there. But you can only go get it if you promise not to comment on how untidy the wardrobe is."

"I wouldn't!"

"Yes you would. I don't mean that you'd be rude about it or anything, but you know, you'd make some joke about how I haven't changed since I was a messy little kid and I just don't need to hear that right now."

"I don't do things like that!"

"Uh - "

"...anymore. I've changed."

2 Comments:

Arbitrista said...

To our parents, we never ever grow up. We max out at like 8 years old or something.

StyleyGeek said...

So true, Publius! I've felt 8 years old all week and I don't like it.