Monday, April 10, 2006

Abnormal

The year: 2050.
The scene: a multidimensional chatroom.

"Hey Soupy, don't you think RetroGirl has been acting strangely, lately?"
"Well, she hasn't been around much, that's for sure."
"And when she has, she's been talking about people I've never heard of. Oh, hi, Waffler."
"Hi guys. You talking about Retro?"
"Yup. Do you know what's up with her?"
"She was telling me she's been spending heaps of time in the Offline."
"What? For fun?"
"That's what she says. You know what she's been doing there? She's been hanging out with people offline."
"Seriously? But wouldn't that be really expensive? I mean, all that travelling..."
"No, she says she's been spending time with the people who live around her anyway. Like, her family, and some people who live in her town."
"Oh come on. Like that would be any fun."
"Yeah. I mean, what would she have in common with them? That would be like picking completely random people for your friends. What's the chance of getting someone you like?"
"Practically zero, I reckon. Because, how many people are there in an average town? A few thousand? A few million? I dunno. But it's gotta be -- wait a sec -- way less than even 1 percent of the online population. And if on the whole net you only find 100 people who are anything like you, or less, then in a town, you'd be lucky to find even one person."
"And I doubt if she screened everyone in her town before choosing who to hang out with, anyway."
"How could she? I know I don't get out much, but last time I was offline, I didn't see anyone with their profile pinned to their front door. How do you find out what people are like offline, anyway?"
"Hey, you know the other weird thing? Her new "friends" would see what she looks like offline. And know her offline name. Wouldn't that be crazy? How would they be able to see past that to what she's really like?"
"Well, I think it's just perverted. It's so... masochistic. She's gonna end up feeling misunderstood and completely alone."

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

These are all extremely good points! ;-)

StyleyGeek said...

On the other hand, sometimes you get lucky in the offline world and meet cool people anyway :) (I didn't mean to imply I don't like any of my real-world friends!).