Sunday, April 02, 2006

Someone has spent too many years delegating to tutors

If students have shown me they don't understand how much work goes into marking, ScaryLecturer has just proven himself to be a worse culprit. He gave me a marking schedule for the latest assignment on Friday (I had assumed until then that I wasn't getting one, since he never got around to it for the first assignment), then I ran into him today and he wanted to know what the mean and standard deviation were.

67 assignments, people!

When I admitted I hadn't yet finished marking enough of them to make it worth working out the statistics, he replied thoughtfully but with a touch of disbelief, "Well, I suppose it might have been more than one days' work to get them all marked..."

He supposeth right.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

I totally forgot you were a day ahead, and thought all of this occurred on a sunday!

Yowza! I'd like to see how long it would take him to grade them!

And means and sds? That's obscene! Now, in saying that, I know I used to do that as well as distributions and frequencies for my old, beloved advisor. I would never, however, ask any of that of my TA's.

I hate it so much when students ask when something will be graded.

StyleyGeek said...

This did happen on a Sunday, Shrinky. He was in at uni when I went in to do a couple of hours work yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.

I don't mind doing statistics on the marks, since I put them all into a spreadsheet anyway, so it's only one click away.

But man. He could wait until, like the day before I have to hand the assignments back. Because that's when I'm planning on marking them :)