Saturday, April 01, 2006

StyleyGeek's cunning plan for an international galah smuggling ring*

My supervisor tells me she has it on good authority that a breeding pair of galahs sells for around $5000 in the States.

Which means that every time I come across scenes such as the one below (which is pretty much every day), all I see is manically fluttering dollar signs. That's like $100,000 worth of parrot right in front of my front door.

So I have a new plan to finance my studies.

After all, how hard can it be to smuggle squawking, biting, incredibly loud and stupid birds the size of pigeons through 10 levels of airport security?

Anyone else want in?


________

*To smuggle international galahs, of course.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to confess that when I read this, I think of a case I heard about a few years ago, where some idiots tried to smuggle parrots into the US by mailing them in FedEx poster tubes. Needless to say, the birds all died, and I found it incredibly depressing.

But I do envy you having parrots flying around outdoors where you live!

Unknown said...

those are ALL parrots?

I'm in. I can be your US contact.

StyleyGeek said...

Don't worry, NK. I wouldn't want to try and fit a galah into a poster tube.

And Shrinky, yes, those are all parrots. All galahs, in fact, the same as the two in the top photo. Galahs don't look very interesting when you see them from above when their wings are stretched out, because they are all grey on top. But they are pretty in pink underneath.

Galahs like to hang out in huge flocks (often larger than this one), so would be a prime target :) In fact, I wonder if that's what the van in this photo is doing. As soon as I went back inside, some guy probably scurried out with a sack and began bagging them :)