Thursday, August 17, 2006

'Fumbling' is the appropriate word

Speaking of photos,* I once again disqualified myself from true geek status today by way of sheer technological incompetence. And it involves photos. (Hence the topicalised participial phrase.)

Because, you see, I was trawling through my own blog archives, marvelling at my reflection in the pond, when** I suddenly noticed that all my photos were missing. All of them!

In the next 30 seconds I came up with all sorts of explanations, mostly involving Blogger and exceeded file space and/or general screw-ups (but some involving aliens holding my photos ransom for reasons unknown), and I went all sorts of colours of crazy and miserable and just generally pissed off.***

It took me ten whole minutes of teary clicking through old photo posts to realise that I had -- wait for it -- AdBlocked my own site.

Don't even ask.

________

*Well, okay, we weren't, but I posted one yesterday, and that counts, right?

** To make the analogy work here, I should really say, "when I reached out and suddenly fell in", which doesn't work at all well when we are talking of archives. Although, how cool would that be? Falling into your own archives?

*** But this time of the month, pretty much anything that happens is guaranteed to turn me exciting shades of angry. In the last few days, for example, I have been pissed off at my bicycle, the computer, Geekman (entirely unfoundedly), broccoli (don't ask), Geekman again (this time moderately foundedly), John Howard (entirely foundedly), and that weird orange foamy stuff that collects around the plug-hole in the bathroom sink. Some of them (including broccoli) have even made me cry.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't cry, the broccoli didn't mean it!

I hate it when I get all angry at something/someone but then it turns out it was all my own fault...that anger, it has no where to go then

Rebecca said...

In our family, that's completely normal behavior. In fact, we teach our toddlers to smack the coffee table when they run into it. We all say "bad table". It either satisfies the need for payback or brings closure or...something. We figure it's good training for later.

sheepish said...

Oh man. Broccoli used to make me cry on a regular basis as a child. We've reached a truce now though.

Arbitrista said...

can't. stop. laughing.

StyleyGeek said...

Yeah, it was mostly the stalks. But the florets were a bit upsetting too.

Rebecca, I love that idea!

Publius, you need to work on your expressions of sympathy.

Arbitrista said...

I was laughing WITH you. Honest.

Unknown said...

publius' tights havev cult off circulation to his brain.

StyleyGeek said...

There's a cult in publius's brain? Or in his tights? Hmmmm....